Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a yellow lab about 94 lbs and started having

Customer Question

My dog is a yellow lab about 94 lbs and started having diarrhea two nights ago wouldn't eat yesterday, but started eating today of which he threw it all up about an hour after...he keeps wanting to go out and squats but nothing comes out , he doesn't seem in pain but seems uncomfortable, he is drinking water, I keep thinking maybe it is a blockage, could that be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
What did the diarrhea and vomit look like? Any blood or mucus?
Can he keep water down?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is mucus in diarrhea, yellow color, this morning saw some brown but total liquid, the vomit was the food he ate with some mucus, he does drink and keeps it down, gums are pink, moist, he doesn't seem to mind me touching his belly, yes he could have eaten something he should not have eaten, we have an in ground fence and he has the run of the yard, could have eaten plant, sticks, or animal waste such as bunny poop, he does have bones to chew on the thick nylon ones that don't break but he has chipped away parts of it ......he keep us up a lot last night crying to go out and sometime we saw water sometimes there was nothing...he just feels the urge to go ....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Any big chips of the nylon bone missing in the past few days?
Any chewed sticks recently that we'd have to worry about?
Any toxic plants on site as far as you are aware?
Is he only passing small volumes of diarrhea or more?
How much Pepto Bimsol did you give?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looked at nylon bone on one side it is chewed and looks like a piece could be gone but not that big of a piece for the size of Rusty haven't seen chewed sticks, as far as the plants he has been seen chewing on one that is called Purple Fountain, he is only passing small volumes of diarrhea or none, but must have urge to pass more because he keeps walking and squatting and trying to go and sometimes a little comes out and another nothing comes out...gave him 1/2 tsp of pepto bimsol yesterday one in morning one in evening.....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now the reason for my questions is because his signs do raise concerns of a blockage. That said, if he was producing a lot of diarrhea initially, then we can also see these other signs with colonic inflammation. It can cause straining as if they need to go (as the colon walls will be swollen enough to touch one another confusing the brain into thinking there is stool to pass) and nausea (as the inflammation triggers the vomiting center in the brain). So, we do need to tread with care here.
Now if you think he has eaten something big enough to lodge in his GI, then we'd want to have him seen urgently since this can damage the gut and cause serious harm. Otherwise, if that is unlikely, then you can try some supportive care to try to ease his signs.
In regards ***** ***** care, if he is vomiting food, you can try him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.
If he settles with this, you can then try him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet tends to be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. You want to offer small frequent meals and can add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran to just try to pus anything stuck in the gut through. It he does settle on this diet, then we'd want to keep him on it for at least a week and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Furthermore, if we have had diarrhea and have gut inflammation, I would note that you could try him on a small dose of Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). I would use this instead of Pepto Bismol since he does have upper GI irritation already (and the aspirin in Pepto could make that worse).
Overall, we do need to tread with care here. His signs do fit with a blockage but could also be related to colonic inflammation. Therefore, if you don't think he has eaten anything that could block the gut, then you can try the above. Of course, if you think he has or he doesn't settle in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to consider following up with his vet. They can palpate +/- xray his belly to make sure nothing is caught. If he is clear, then they can start him on injectable anti-nausea and antibiotic treatment to soothe his signs and get him feeling more comfortable.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )