Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My golden retriever is 6yrs old and just started peeing and

Customer Question

Hi Lisa
My golden retriever is 6yrs old and just started peeing and drinking a lot within 24 hours. No behavioral changes are seen and she is still eating fine. I'm scared since it's the weekend that not being able to get her into a vet until tommorrow will be detrimental to her health. When I read all off the possibilities of what it could be, it terrifies me. She just had a vet appt 2 weeks ago for vomiting and they drew blood. Everything came back normal except her pancreatic level(?) was elevated but the vet said that was from her vomiting. Is there some big picture we are missing? Do I need to wait until tommorrow to be seen or should I drive her to an emergency vet (we have one in the town next to us). Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has she been spayed?
Is she passing large or small volumes of urine?
Does it look watery/dilute, dark, have any blood or mucus in it?
Has her vomiting all settled?
How much water do you think she had in the past 24 hours?
How much does she weigh?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie grapes/raisins, plants, chemicals, human medications, etc)?
Has she had any diarrhea?