Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a pug and she has had trouble breathing through her

Customer Question

I have a pug and she has had trouble breathing through her nose lately. She keeps wanting to sleep white sitting up. Does not want to lay down at all. I took her to emergency 2 weeks ago and they said she has a little inflammation on her lungs after they took an X-ray .. They gave her pills and we gave them to her for 2 weeks now and still hasn't got any better... She breathes fine through her mouth. I have an appointment at her vet on Monday but it's Saturday and I just can't watch her like this anymore.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Pug. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you check her gums, are they pink in color, or do they seem pale?

Does she have any discharge from her nose?

What pills did they send from the emergency clinic and did they help at all? Sorry for all the questions, but since I can't see and examine her or listen to her with a stethoscope, the more information I have the better I can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gums are pink. She does have discharge from her nose. They gave her clavamox 250mg... I just wish there was something I could do for her to get some sleep... Also she's fine when we take her for a walk she breathes through her mouth like there's nothing wrong with her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pills did not help at all by the way
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is interesting she can breathe through her nose when she is exercising but not when at rest.

If she has nasal congestion, you can use children's decongestant nose drops, like Little Noses.

If the pills did not help, then this is not due to an infection.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Pink gums means she is getting enough air and oxygen into her lungs.

Steroids like prednisone might help, but you need to get something like that from your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gums are pink and dark as well in color I'm not sure if the dark parts are normal.. Dark as in black and pink.. But she does have a black face. I tried spraying simply saline in her nose but it only helped for 5 minutes and than she went back to the same .. So is little noses a better solution than saline?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The dark parts are probably normal pigment.

I would get drops that have a decongestant, not just saline solution.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/little-noses-decongestant-nose-drops-gentle-1/8-formula/ID=prod6143323-product

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Do not overuse the drops, 1 drop in each nostril once to twice daily

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to Walgreens to get that right away thank you so much for your help.. I hope it helps... It's killing me to watch her like this..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's gonna be a struggle to try to spray it in her nose ..
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You tilt her face up, and drop one drop into each nostril.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If that does not help, I would try steroids next.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she doing tonight?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi D,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?