Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog jumps off beds and runs and yesterday I notice she

Customer Question
wouldn't get on the bed...
My dog jumps off beds and runs and yesterday I notice she wouldn't get on the bed. She walks on her leg but when she tries to squat to pee she will yelp. It's the back leg
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
8/22/2015
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Lola. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear that Lola seems to have injured one of her hind limbs. As you can imagine, there are a number of things that could be going on in this leg. If this lameness just began 'all of a sudden', then it is most likely to be a ligamentous injury such as a torn cranial (aka anterior) cruciate ligament - in which case surgery may well be necessary. Other options include anything from a full fracture, incomplete hairline fracture or just the onset of arthritis and degenerative joint disease, which less likely given your girl's age - 4 years.

I really would encourage a full Veterinary physical exam in order to try and pinpoint the exact cause of her lameness and your Vet may even encourage you to get several xrays taken which would definitely help identify the problem. Given her breed, age and how this happened, I am most concerned this could be a cruciate ligament problem. If your vet suspects this, he or she may need to sedate your girl, have a feel of the injured hind leg and take a couple of xrays to get an exact diagnosis.

Thankfully there are a number of treatments you could try for your girl for any of the above potential problems. These range from Pentosan shots which help stimulate cartilage formation, to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, to opioid based drugs and even all the supplements including glucosamine and chondroitin etc. So don't panic - there are plenty of options available depending on the cause of her lameness. Unfortunately there aren't any drugs you can give from home that will help relieve pain for you girl that are safe for her. Don't be tempted to try her with any of these, as they typically do more harm than good.

Do try and see your vet tomorrow morning if you can, if your girl still seems to be painful when she is fully weight bearing on the leg. In the meantime, please try and keep her as quiet as possible with only careful leash walking outside to go to the toilet. Hopefully it is just a bit of a muscular strain that will improve with some veterinary prescribed anti inflammatories. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,
I thought I would follow up quickly to see how you got on with Lola. Hopefully this was just a minor sprain and she improved within a day. If not, I am sure you have been in to your local vet and hopefully have a diagnosis as to the cause of her hind limb issue?
It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian