Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our 8 month old male frenchie still has floppy ears .Taping

Customer Question

Our 8 month old male frenchie still has floppy ears .Taping has failed as he shakes off the tape. He has goats milk and yoghurt daily . Any suggestions or is it now too late ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
An alternative taping method may help the ears stand. Let me give you a site that has various methods of taping.
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/eartaping.htm
The above site has a lot of different breeds and may different methods. Some methods involve just tape, others involve foam to help keep the ears up, etc. So look over them all and see if there is a method that may be better suited to Roux and not bother him as much. In most cases, as long as you started before they are 7 months old, you still have a chance of it working but still takes a few months of taping to get the results you want. I know he is 8 months, but I'm sure you have been trying a bit.
Dogs do teeth with the last ones coming in around 7 months, so now would be a good time for the ears to come up and stay. However, if they don't and you really want standing ears, there are ear implants that can be done to get the ears to stand. The following site has the implants called permastay ear implants. They will also give you the name of a surgeon in your area willing to do the implant surgery.
http://www.neuticles.com/
However, many owner find that the floppy ears give their little ones character and elect to just leave the ears alone.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi David,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Roux. How is everything going?

I'm following up to see how things are going and to see if you found my answer helpful?