Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has diabetes and has stopped eating and drinking

Customer Question
along with diarrhea. I...
my dog has diabetes and has stopped eating and drinking along with diarrhea. I thought at first he had too much insulin so I didn't give him his shot at 11 am but he is still mostly sleeping. He is 16 yrs old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
10 minutes is fine I cant wait a day
8/20/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to see that you have been waiting a while for an answer. I think it is because there really isn't a simple thing that you can do at home to make Bob feel better quickly at home.

You absolutely did the right thing by not giving him insulin. Dogs that do not eat and receive insulin can go into a coma due to very low blood sugar. It is better to have slightly elevated blood sugar then too low.

His shaking and loose stools point toward gastrointestinal irritation. He may have some cramping that is interfering with his appetite, or an underlying disease process (organ failure or an infection) that is leading to increased waste product levels in the blood that is affecting his appetite and causing loose stools.

Poorly controlled diabetes can lead to very high blood sugar levels and ketoacidosis which can lead to gastrointestinal irritation and diarrhea. Has he been drinking more water than usual lately?
Diabetics, especially if they are not well controlled, are also prone to infections and metabolic organ damage, often kidney disease or urinary tract infections.

Because your fellow is now lethargic too ideally Bob would be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. If your veterinarian cannot see him and you have access to an emergency clinic that would be ideal. They can check his blood sugar levels, get him on fluids as he is likely dehydrated from his bouts of diarrhea, and treat any organ failure or infection appropriately.

I know that you would like to have some sort of plan to treat him at home, but I feel given his lethargy and duration of his symptoms that would not be wise.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian