Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is peeing blood after he empties s bladder. He's had

Customer Question
Hi, my dog is peeing...
Hi, my dog is peeing blood after he empties his bladder. He's had it for 1 month and the vet has put him on antibiotics, but he's still peeing blood. I'm very worried as he very miserable
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
He was a very energetic dog up to 12'weeks ago, but had an operation for a crucial ligament. Since then he has gone down hill with a water infection which the vet put him on antibiotics for a week. This did not clear up and he is now peeing sheer Blood when he empties his bladder . He's on another 3 weeks antibiotics and his diet has been changed to wet food. After the op the vet put him on a dry food diet biscuit , which he lost 7 pounds in 9'weeks,, but because it was high in fibre he was pooing at least 10 times a day, so the vet said to put him on a different diet.
8/19/2015
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know what antibiotics he's been on?

Do you know if they did a culture and sensitivity on his urine?

Have they done x-rays?

Have they done blood work?

Hi I'm not sure of the antibiotics name but they did all the test which you have quoted

Did they find stones or anything in the x-ray?

Have they done any other testing?

They said that he has crystals in his bladder, and they put a probe through his penis to see if he had any thing there, but there wasn't. They blew his bladder up,and saw the crystals. They then said to buy a powder form of cranberry and give him that with his food. That was 2 Weeks ago. We went for second opinion 8 days ago and the vet then put him on another 3 weeks of antibiotics , but today he's very tired and is peeing a lot of blood after he has emptied his bladder. I took a sample of the blood to the vet and she has now referred him to a specialist and has put him on lexicon which is an anti inflammatory . I just worried that this is more serious that just crystal. Please could you help me.
Hi Lisa did you get my last text?

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I absolutely think that seeing the specialist is the best plan. Crystals can be caused by lots of things...diet, some antibiotics and even the water they drink...when they go on as long as they have, the chance that the dog has developed actual stones is very high.

Some types of stones can be dissolved with a special diet (such as this one: http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-sd-canine-dissolution-canned.html ) and a long course of antibiotics.

It seems like your vet may not be as comfortable with this kind of problem than some others, so it's awesome that he is referring you to someone who can help Raffy feel more comfortable and stop urinating blood. The Lexicon is a good first step. Sometimes these dogs get so much inflammation going on that the antibiotics alone don't help...so getting him on something to get that under control is great.

I actually have a dog of my own who has had stones/crystals...it can be a tough thing to get cleared up...and it sounds like although your vet didn't quite have a good handle on things, he did the right thing by getting you a referral. Hopefully the Lexicon and new meds will get Raffy feeling better soon.

Can I ask one more question. Could it be cancer?. His appetite is still good. And we have to wait for another 3 weeks before we see the specialist is there anything we can do for Raffy to try and clear this up apart from the medicine he is receiving. The food we give him is gluten free, and we give him goats milk diluted down with water so his drinks plenty. He has a very high ph level and protein level and blood level.

I'm not going to lie or sugar coat...it could be.

However, if they didn't see anything unusual in the blood work or in the urinalysis they did, then it's unlikely. Let's think positive and keep our fingers crossed for something like stones.

Did you get my last text?

The one about whether it could be cancer?

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech