Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate 28 the whole bottle of Baytril antibiotics

Customer Question

my dog ate 28 the whole bottle of Baytril antibiotics
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. I am assuming she just ate the Baytril antibiotics and not any part of the actual bottle?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just ate the pills not the bottle

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Luckily most antibiotics such as Baytril have a very high margin of safety in the dog so in your case toxicity should not be an issue and your dog is not in any great danger. However Muffin may well experience a bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea because of the effect of the antibiotic on her intestinal tract.

2. For that reason one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the Baytril that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

{ I will follow up in ten minutes with some advice on how to handle vomiting and / or diarrhoea if it occurs }

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

Here is some advice on how to treat an episode of vomiting and diarrhoea should it occur.

There are a number of home remedies for vomiting and / or diarrhoea in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise fairly bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have as in your case.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a couple of tablespoons twice a day should be fine for a dog of your one's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she's already vomited by herself

Hello again,

Great, that 's good, all you need to do now is just to keep an eye on her and perhaps try a simple home remedy if a gastroenteritis does develop over the next 24 hours.

However to be on the safe side you should get your local vet involved if any unexpected symptoms do occur or you become further concerned.

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Map and started seizing and foaming at the mouth had to take her to the emergency vet she's there now and she had a grand mal seizure there they're treating her with valium they're keeping her overnight hopefully she'll be making it

Sorry to hear that, those symptoms are very unexpected ...

Please keep me updated.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Muffin. How is everything going?