Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is pacing and crying and running from room to room.

Customer Question

Hi - My dog is pacing and crying and running from room to room. She's a 5yr old Morkie
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was itching for hours before this started. she has had allergies in the past, but not like this. The behavior she is displaying now is something I've never seen before
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It is certainly possible that Coco is reacting to these allergies and it is making her feel very anxious. For this, give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs...I see that you have used this but be sure you are giving enough. I would also recommend purchasing a DAP Collar available at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help sweet Coco calm down from this anxiety.
If this is not enough, your vet has stronger anti inflammatory medications to help with these severe allergies.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello - thank you for your response. I gave her 10 mg of Benadryl and she started acting worse - it is possible she can have a reaction to BD? I opened a capsule and put it in peanut butter. Is that the proper way to administer?She is behaving much better today.....FYI just need to know answer to my question for future reference
I have never had a dog react to Benadryl but there is always a first...if she seemed worse after giving this, then it is better to avoid this next time. You did the right thing by putting it in peanut butter...that would not have changed anything.
I am so happy that Coco is feeling better today.
Hi Brenda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta