Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog ate a popsicle stick it is sharp I 't know how ago it

Customer Question

my dog ate a popsicle stick it is sharp I don't know how long ago it may have been over a day ago. she is a 12 yr old weimeriner she has been eating and acting normally
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 12 year old girl Duchess . I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. This sort of ingestion is always a bit of a concern, however there isn't a lot you can do at this stage. If there are likely sharp pieces of the stick she ingested, then it wouldn't be wise to make her try and vomit these up, and it is already a little too late for this now (anything over an hour would be too late). If it is possible that Duchess could have eaten this within the last couple of hours, then the best next step here will be to feed her a couple of slices of white bread. Often this will help to coat sharp pieces of swallowed material, and might be enough to help prevent damage to Duchess's intestines as the sharp pieces of popsicle stick pass through her system. It does help that she is a bigger girl, and hopefully she managed to chew the stick up in to small enough pieces that they pass through her GI tract without an issue.

You will need to keep an eye on Duchess over the next 48 hours as these pieces pass through her GI tract. These could potentially scrape the inside of her intestines or cause a blockage. If Duchess goes off her food, has any vomiting, loose stool (including bloody stool), or generally seems lethargic, then you will need to get her straight down to your regular vet. Here they can take an xray and/or ultrasound to rule out a partial or complete blockage. Here's hoping these pieces of popsicle stick have no issues passing through however. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Duchess. How is everything going?
Pet Doc