How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19590
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today would be day 25 of my dogs pregnancy if we were

Customer Question

today would be day 25 of my dogs pregnancy if we were successful with her breeder. four days after breeding we found a tumor on her leg we went to the vet had a needle test and it was benign.a few days later she devolped a tumor on her main mammory gland went back to the bet at which time more testing was done and cant say for sure what it is. Needless to say we wanted to hold off on surgery till after she is to deliver but she has dev. 4 more small tumors on her chest. needless to say not in pain.she is bulking up getting broader around chest area. I dont want to loose her and or her puppies. I dont know if I should cancel surgery and wait or go with surgery now. I know many people who all have labs and have many tumors never tested never removed and they are perfectly fine.. just needing more imput please
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
At day 25 from the last breeding, you really would just be starting to see a little changes in her but it would be pretty minor. It is around the fifth week after the FIRST mating that you would start to see some weight gain and it would become more obvious over the next couple of weeks as her abdomen grew and her breasts enlarged and she loses hair in the abdominal region to prepare for nursing pups.
It is going to be a hard call. Many growths are just fatty tissue deposit called Lipomas and nothing to worry about, but without testing each one, you can't be sure. Since she is still in the early stages of pregnancy, there is a good chance she would reabsorb the pups or lose the litter if she is operated on.
If the needle biopsies show them as benign, then I would leave them alone for now. If it is inconclusive, you might redo the biopsy to see if it is more conclusive with another sample from that tumor so you can make a more informed decision.
You are correct that quite a few labs do develop fatty tumors that are benign so you do have the chance that hers won't interfere with her pregnancy. Your vet though is the only one that can determine if the growths could be life threatening to your girl and how soon she should have them removed.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the chances of the puppies surviving surgery
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
I personally do not think they would. Simple things like vaccinating a dog during the first month of pregnancy can cause a dog to no longer be pregnant. There are no real answers because you can't determine if a dog is pregnant until around day 21 or so with an ultrasound which most people do not end up having done as it is better to wait a little longer for imaging. However, most dogs do indeed become pregnant if the owner witnesses a tie. And we also know that many times after a dog is operated on or has a vaccination or even stressful situations like abuse or injury will bring on a loss of the litter.
You can read more on this here:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She tied successfully twice!! This is her first pregnancy and we have waited so long to find a stud and breed her so she will live on with us.. Just now faced with this.. I don't want to lose the puppies with surgery and don't want to lose her due to lack of surgery.. So hard to know what's right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to call around tomorrow to get a ultrasound on her . What is on average cost of ultrasound? $100? $300? Unsure
Our vet does not have ultrasound and can't X-ray till day 40
Any additional information on labs and tumors
Or surgery and pregnancy
Pros cons of any of this ? Please share I am deep within research
Ty again
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
If she was mine and the growths are benign or inconclusive, I'd be inclined to let the pregnancy continue if it has taken this long to arrange.
Here are a few sites for additional information and pictures to allow you to get an idea based on the physical characteristics..
Picture of Lipoma
Picture of Hemangiosarcoma
Picture of a mast cell tumor (mast tumor site)
Ultrasounds vary from practice to practice and state to state. It usually cost more if you have to go outside the clinic for the tests. It can run anywhere from $250 to $700. I would shop around and see if there is another vet office that can do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I obtained a copy of pathology report can you help read it? Lol
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
I can give it a try, but not sure I can give you much more information than what it says.