Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We have two miniature Datchunds,if they catch a garden rat

Customer Question

We have two miniature Datchunds,if they catch a garden rat will they be at risk from disease?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Leptospirosis is one disease that can be spread by rats and other animals. Your dog can be vaccinated to prevent the disease and your vet may have done that as part of a multiple vaccine. It can also be passed to humans as well.
On a good note, rats rarely carry rabies or contract that disease but they do carry bacteria and if they were to bite your dog, then your dog might be infected. Here is a list of the various things a rat might carry.
http://www.ratbehavior.org/WildRatDisease.htm
It would be safest to rid your area of rats if possible but don't use poison. Use humane traps and release them far away from other people and cities. Make it at least a mile from where you trapped it so hopefully it can not find its way back.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.