Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 4 year old Yorkie that I got at the age of 1. I'm

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Yorkie that I got at the age of 1. I'm told she has been abused and was 3 lbs. She was very with drawn for the first 6 months but came around, ate well gained 5 lbs and seem to be very happy and playful. Than we lost our Dobbie 4/15/2013 and our Lab 9/18/2014 and she got very depressed. This past Christmas we pick up a new puppy and she again seemed to be O.K. When the puppy turned of age to be spayed we got both of them spayed and she has not been the same since. She refuses to walk, she will not relieve her self in the back yard, will not go on the grass, will not play or do anything at all but lay around and do nothing. She does eat most of the time but that has always been hit and miss. I do not have the dog skills to snap her out of this and am looking to relocate her with someone that does. Shes not happy at all. She never gets yelled at or miss treated in any way so I don't know why she slipped into what ever she did. I don't want to give her away but I don't know what to do. Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
How long ago was the surgery and how long has she been acting this way. Did these symptoms start right after the surgery?
Have you had her examined to make sure there is not a physical reason for her behavior?
When you say she will not walk, are you meaning on a leash or that she won't walk in general. What happens if you stand her up? What if you pick her up and put her in the grass?
Do you take the dogs out separately or together?
Is she having accidents in the house? Did you use crate training with her when she was younger?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.