Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I am fostering dog that was recently in the county shelter.

Customer Question

hi, I am fostering dog that was recently in the county shelter. on sunday he was given zenaquin as he has several issues, including a serious skin infection (an another antibiotic for digestive issues). last night he started coughing severly and all symptoms point to kennel cough (cough, gag, foam). will zenaquin handle that or does he need to go back for something like doxy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Any actual vomiting with these coughing spells?

How long have you had him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had him since Thursday. he is vomiting white foam and a little liquid.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

And what is the name of the medication he's on for digestive issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

metronidazole 250mg

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I think I'd give it a couple more days and see if this really is kennel cough, or if it's a reaction to the medication he's currently on.

As you may, or may not know, kennel cough is considered 'self limiting'...meaning that it only gets so bad before it goes away on it's own. We generally see problems with older dogs, puppies or pups with a compromised immune system due to something like cancer or other chronic issues. We don't even tend to send out medication unless it seems to get worse or they have problems breathing.

Putting him in a steamed room could help him cough become more productive, although I've heard mixed reviews on that trick. Some people swear it made the dog feel better, some don't think it did much at all. When I brought my dog home with kennel cough, I tried the steamy room and all it did was make us both limp and damp. It won't hurt to try though, but don't be discouraged if nothing changes.

As for the progression of kennel cough, I've found this site to be extremely helpful, and we even give the address of the site to our clients with pets who have kennel cough. It's very enlightening and really talks you through this process: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&articleid=452 .

And finally, a homeopathy site that might give you some tips on what you can do at home to help your pup: http://www.auntjeni.com/kennel.htm .

I hope this helps!!