Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is wobbly her tail is swollen she is drinking her

Customer Question

My dog is wobbly her tail is swollen she is drinking her ears are warm nose is dry I massaged her stomach and hips stomach is a little bloated
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A "wobbly" dog is enough reason to have Nipsy attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. Ataxia ("drunken sailor") can result from overall weakness, vestibular (balance) disorders, and both encephalopathies (brain disorders) and myelopathies (spinal cord disorders). The significance of a swollen tail is unclear - is it the type of swelling that might have arisen after being envenomated by a flying insect or spider? A stomach that is "a little bloated" is also unclear but another symptom for Nipsy's vet to investigate.
I regret that I can't be more specific for you. All of the symptoms you mentioned are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Please respond with additional information or further questions or concerns if you wish.