Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Salkin only: Max my 12.5 year old beardie with some newly…

Customer Question
For Dr. Michael Salkin only: Max...
For Dr. Michael Salkin only:
Max my 12.5 year old beardie with some newly discovered health issues just did something kind of upsetting. I was sitting at my desk and Max was laying beside me, and all of a sudden I heard water, and Max was peeing right beside me while laying down and never even got up. What can you tell me about male incontinence? I checked all his crate pads etc and he has not done this before but this is so bizarre he never even tried to tell me to take him out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
8/8/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
We first need to determine if his urinating represented incontinence or, instead, urgency due to inflammation secondary to infection, uroliths, or cancer or perhaps overfilling of his bladder. True male urinary incontinence isn't nearly as common as in females but when present is worrisome for neurogenic incontinence such as is seen with spinal cord compression secondary to a slipped disk, tumor, or degenerative myelopathy (a Lou-Gehrig-type of disease) in its late stages - not likely with Max.
I suspect he's overfilling with all that dilute urine he forms. We need to see if this repeats.

I'm so very glad to hear this - I do not have it in me to start dealing in diapers again so soon. And, I recalled that there were no male diapers to be found where I was buying them which speaks to what you said about it being so rare in males. I would have been happier had he not layed in the same position while the whole thing happened but get what you're saying that it might have been that he was overdue to go out. Perhaps laziness won!

Perhaps so. Something else to keep me posted about!
Hi Corey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?