Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I hope.. my aussie has had to wear her hood month and a

Customer Question

I hope.. my aussie has had to wear her hood for a month and a half . She has locked all the hair between her pads off. And bites and licks it constantly. I took her to the vet and he put some powder that has antibiotics and cortisone all in the pads he wrapped it up and wanted it checked in one week. He gave her a antibiotic shot and pill antibiotics to take for 10 days. It looked better after 1 week and the vet said continue with antibiotics and remove hood . I did and she is so bad at liking and biting that I try to put her hood on she growls at me. So I just don't know what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

HI there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Has she always had this issue?

Do her feet smell odd at all?

What food do you feed her?

What kind of treats does she get?

Does she have any discoloration to her feet or under her eyes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she hasn't always had this. Her food is pedigree healthy longevity. Her foot smells like fritos corn chips. Which I assume is a fungus. But the vet didn't treat her for that.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It definitely does sound like she's got a yeast infection going on in her feet...which is probably why she's bothering it so much, even after she was given antibiotics and steroids.

As a rule, this isn't something that is going to clear up on it's own. Yeast/fungal infections love to live on feet because they're dark between the toes, they're often moist and they're warm. The Frito smell you're picking up on is generally a tell-tale sign that it's fungal.

Because of this, I have to recommend you have her seen by her vet again. Ask that they do a skin scraping on the areas she's licking/chewing at on her feet. This is where they'll take the edge of a scalpel blade and scrape off the top layer of skin, and look at it under a microscope to see exactly what kind of bacteria/yeast is growing there.

Once they do that, they'll know exactly what is going on and will be able to send out the right medication to get it cleared up. Generally a course of topical anti-fungals gets things cleared up.

I hope this helps.