Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Queensland

Customer Question

I have a German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Queensland Heeler mix (male). Last night he just started freaking out. When he moves he gets up and runs around in a circle then comes to me and lays down and will only calm down a little if I pet him and talk to him. He doesn't cry. He has been doing this for the last 14 hours. He drinks water. His tongue is pale, but still pink and his gums are pink. He did not eat this morning. We have a lot of cactus in our yard and periodically I remove cactus needles (he has long hair). His ears are back and he is panting quite a bit, almost continually. I don't have the money to take him to the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Treo. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If his gums are more pale than normal, that is a concern. It can be a sign of many things: low red blood cell count (from internal bleeding, or autoimmune disease), internal disease (liver, kidney, pancreas disease), pain, allergic reaction, exposure to rat poison.

Is he eating and drinking?

Can you take his rectal temperature? Normal is between 101 and 102.