Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a friend with a 13 year old Beagle. He coughs when in

Customer Question

I have a friend with a 13 year old Beagle. He coughs when in the house and back yard fairly often. He does not cough on walks. He's on prednisone which alleviates some of the coughing. The house is extremely dirty. The air is not good. That explains the cough there , but why in the backyard and not on the walk? Any ideas?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vet has him on lasix and prednisone. He was on hydroxyzine but owner discontinued because of diarrhea.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

It sounds like this is probably due to a collapsing trachea. These dogs will cough more when in hot/ humid weather or when they are exercising. They also cough more when being leashed with a collar as there is pressure on the trachea. These dogs do better in cool weather and with a harness when out for a walk.

Prednisone does help. I also like to use a cough suppressant as needed- Codeine or Hycodan. I don't use any diuretics unless it's coughing secondary to heart disease. I don't think the Lasix is needed here.

Here's a nice handout on the condition:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1527

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.