Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My girlfriends 9 year old male Yorkie goes to the bathroom

Customer Question
in my house (#1 ...
My girlfriends 9 year old male Yorkie goes to the bathroom in my house (#1  ) whenever he visits even though my two (4 yr old) male Chihuahuas always go outside...and are let out all the time..... the Yorkie will go to the bathroom in the house even after being outside for long periods of time..... (when he is home all week he is "trained" to go on a PP Pad at her house since she is gone 8-10 hours a day at work)..... so I understand he may be confused, but though I put out a PP pad for him in my house in the spare bathroom ....he does not use it all the time, and he will poop under the dining room table (which has a rug) (right underneath the chair she sits in usually , or pee on my recliner or anywhere else he wants to go.... bedroom etc...... It seems this may be more a dominating or Alpha issue with my two male dogs or even with me since I am the alpha in my house..... the 3 dogs have known each other for 3 years , get along fine, play together etc.... I also have to pick up rugs in my bathroom (since they resemble square pp pad.... and put up gates so he doesn't have the run of the house when he visits or he would pee/poo anywhere there is a throw rug etc..he has already destroyed my bedroom carpeting .... It is a BIG Issue for us and I am at my wits end with this behavior.... she thinks removing all rugs from the house would help and I am not willing to do that..though i now need to replace the bedroom carpet but not willing to do that until this is remedied ..This Yorkie is driving me mad.... any suggestions.... he may very well succeed in destroying my relationship...Any Help would be appreciated ....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
8/2/2015
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Are all the boys neutered?

Does Tiger ever use a crate at home?

Does he ever mark in his own home?

What are you cleaning those areas with?

Have your dogs ever urinated in your house?

they are all neutered - Tiger is not crated at home..... he usually uses pp pad at home but does go in other places sometimes.... I usually use Spot Shot for pets or Simply Green..... I got a rescue Chi last June for my 1st one... he marked territory a few times when he was first brought home but stopped within a few days of me training him and following my other dogs behavior that never peed in the house...I trained him since he was a puppy.... But I dont understand why Tiger is not using the pp pad at my house anymore and just going wherever he wants to

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So if this were me, I'd take a multistep approach to getting Tiger to stop messing in your house:

First...I'd invest in a kennel for him and put the pp pad in there with him. As long as the kennel is in the same area of the house where the other dogs hang out, he likely won't mind, but even if he does, you should still use the crate. At least that way he's contained and not destroying your carpeting with his urine.

Second...I'd clean the spots he has urinated with a different product. Ideally, we recommend using an enzymatic product such as Oxiclean or even a biohazard product available at Home Depot or Lowe's or Menards...if you just explain to them that you're looking for an enzyme cleaner, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Third...if neither of these seem to work, then you may want to invest in a belly band for Tiger. This is a fabric wrap that goes around their midsection and holds a feminine hygiene product over their penis. Then, when the dog does urinate, it's caught in the pad, rather than your carpet. There's a link to it here: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solution-Washable-Male-Medium/dp/B000FJD5ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438552575&sr=8-1&keywords=canine+belly+band

I know it's tough to get them house broken...especially when they're older adults...hopefully these steps are a good starting point to saving your carpeting.

I hope this helps.

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech