Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My 50# 14 yr old dog ate several--a lot--of cooked pork rib

Customer Question

My 50# ***** yr old dog ate several--a lot--of cooked pork rib bones. Seems restless attempting to defecate. Has been given tramadol. About 24 hrs ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
In most cases of bone ingestion, dogs are able to pass them without any risk of obstruction but if your dog ate a large number of them, then there are several possible scenarios;
1. They have become lodged in his intestines and he won't be able to pass them or
2. They may have accumulated in his colon such that he's basically constipated.
If the problem is #1, then a vet visit may be necessary but if #2 is the problem, then you may have a few options to try at home
which will essentially involve manual evaluation...or attempts anyway.
If you'd like to try and remove any fecal/bone material which might be present in his colon, the following is how you would do so:
Place a latex glove on your hand and lubricate it really well with K/Y jelly or Petroleum Jelly and lubricate his rectum, too. Gently insert your index finger into his anus up to your first or second knuckle, and hook your finger into fecal/bony material and gently retract it. You may need to perform this procedure several times.
I would have someone helping you since this may be a little uncomfortable for your dog and you don't want to get injured yourself.
I understand that this is not something that everyone will feel comfortable doing.
2. If you have a large syringe or turkey baster, you can also give him a warm water enema. Obviously, this is not for the faint hearted. I would lubricate the end of the syringe or baster as I mentioned above, gently insert into his rectum about 1 inch and gently squeeze the warm water into him.
You may also need to repeat this procedure several times to loosen up the hard stool.
Neither of the above procedures will cause more harm which is obviously the goal. I wouldn't give him any oral laxatives since if he's obstructed, they might create more of a problem for him.
I hope this helps and that you're successful in providing him some relief. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Every step should be done gently so as not to hurt him.