Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He was chewing a Dentleys chicken wrapped rawhide stick

Customer Question

he was chewing a Dentleys chicken wrapped rawhide stick for a while and i got up to get some for just a second and it was gone. He swallowed it. It is pencil sized and about 5 to 6 inches long
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Roughly how heavy is your dog { In pounds } ?

2. Is he showing any adverse symptoms of any sort at present?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello.He is approximately 8lbs. And no adverse sign other than he has been rather calm since then and went to sleep for about 2 hours

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is a very common sort of incident and my experience with these rawhide chews is that almost all dogs even small one's like yours will be able to digest and pass them. The stomach acids can digest and soften these objects.

2. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on your dog. If problems were going to occur then look out for such symptoms as vomiting, straining, inappetance, lethargy and signs of abdominal discomfort and pain. If any such appear then have your dog checked over by a vet without delay, but this would be rare.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.