Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

NancyH: I think I accidentally poisoned my dog by giving m

Customer Question

Hello NancyH: I think I accidentally poisoned my dog by giving him sweetened condensed milk, mixed with his food. He started by throwing up on Thursday night and had had loose bowels; he was drinking yesterday and walking around, a little shakily, but he looked better. Today, he is shaking a lot and I am giving him water with a dropper. I don't know what else to do for him. He isn't crying or acting droopy, just constantly shaking. Do you have any suggestions.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I don't believe you poisoned Sunni. The sweetened condensed milk contains only milk and sugar. Sunni is likely to be lactose intolerant, however, and so his gastrointestinal distress may be directly related to his ingestion of the lactose-containing milk. This type of distress should be self-limiting, however, within 12 hours.
His shaking indicates discomfort but not the source of that discomfort. The milk, then, might be a red herring. Simple GI distress is addressed by NOT doing; in other words, I fast my patient for 12 hours and then introduce a bland diet such as chicken breast (sans skin) and white rice. If vomiting persists in spite of the bland diet, it would be prudent to have Sunni attended to by an on-call vet. At his age he doesn't have the reserve that a much younger dog has and can become dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced quickly.
If he can't be seen by a vet, I recommend your switching to an infant fluid replacer such as Pedialyte (or generic). His daily fluid requirement is approximately 1 ounce of fluid per 1 pound of body weight which is nigh impossible to give orally but every little bit counts. You may also administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours which might afford Sunni comfort.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.