Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Ny dog had a heat stroke stayed at vet days with 2 days on

Customer Question

ny dog had a heat stroke stayed at vet for 4 days with 2 days on iv now at home and having seizures the longest one lasting 2 hours
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear what happened to Clarice, and that she is still having seizures. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How is she between seizures? Is she bright and alert, or is she quiet and nonresponsive? Is she still eating and drinking?

The concern, as you know, is that the heat stroke caused brain damage. This may or may not be reversible depending on how extensive the damage is. The only way to know would be to do an MRI of her brain and I would consider doing that, if she were mine. It is an expensive test, however.

It might help to have her take seizure medication such as zonisamide or phenobarb. Is she taking any medication like this?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Clarice doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hi Scott,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Clarice. How is everything going?