Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 9 week old pup is walking with a bowed front leg. Looks

Customer Question

My 9 week old pup is walking with a bowed front leg. Looks like elbow. Had a bit of trauma about week ago and was given anti inflammatory painkillers Cartilage or ligament? She doesn't appear to be in pain. How can it be fixed ? Does it get splinted?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You've described an angular limb deformity which is described as an abnormal growth of the limb due to premature closure of a physis (growth plate). This occurs most commonly in a front limb with radial or ulnar bone physeal closures(s) secondary to trauma to the physis.
X-rays from the elbow down to the carpus are indicated to assess the location and degree of deformation. In immature dogs such as Bracken, the goal is to restore unrestricted growth of affected bones and prevent joint incongruities from developing. This is done with surgical treatment and so referral to a specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon is strongly recommended at this time. Please see here: www.acvs.org and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much. That's very helpful. She will go to the vet today for examination.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.