Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 month old standard poodle has pimple like bumps with

Customer Question

Hi my 4 month old standard poodle has pimple like bumps with a bit of puss on her chest and arms they have an ordor like metal..
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not that big more like a human size pimple
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Based on your description of these pimples and skin changes, your lass sounds to have a bacterial pyoderma of her skin. This is not uncommon in dogs and can arise due to microtrauma to the skin or can be secondary to allergies. Just to note, the metal smell is likely yo just be due to the species of bacteria causing the infection.
Now in regards ***** ***** these situations, it does depend on how diffuse and how extensive the infection is. If we are seeing a lot of pimples over a wide space, then systemic/oral antibiotics (+/- steroids if they are itchy) from her vet would be considered the treatment of choice.
Otherwise, if there are just a few and the infection is mild, we can start some home supportive care to see if we can settle this for her. To start, I would advise cleansing those affected areas with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine or salt water -1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) a few times daily. Alternatively, since this sounds to be potentially diffuse you can use an antibacterial shampoo treatment (ie Malaseb or Zincoseb) to help settle her signs. Both are available via your vet or you can obtain these online. They can be used a few times weekly or as needed. After use of these and thoroughly drying the area, if there are just a few present, you can consider putting on an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) on the pimples to help them clear faster.
Finally, if you suspect she has underlying allergies, you can also consider a trial on antihistamines. Most often we use Benadryl (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl)for dogs with allergic skin disease. A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) can just be enough to break that irritation cycle, give her skin the chance in needs to settle, and avoid more bacterial infection spreading. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And, of course, if she is on any other medication or has a pre-existing condition, then you do want to speak to your vet first before using these.
Overall, based on your history, it does sound like your wee one has a bacterial pyoderma. If mild, the above can help settle this for her. Of course, if diffuse or severe, then it would be best to have oral treatments dispensed by her vet to clear this from the inside out.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do
Dogs come across this infection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I get her shaved from the areas she has them from?
I was using a hydrocortisone dog spray it seem to help a bit..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You could have the area shaved if it is a large patch, as that could make this easier to treat. And hydrocortisone spray is fine to reduce irritation but we need to also treat the infection to clear it.
Finally, in regards ***** ***** other question, the bacteria causing infections tend to actually be the ones that live on the skin already. So, often dogs are carriers of the bacteria. But as I noted above, if the dog scratches (causing even microscopic damage) the skin or has allergies that make the skin inflamed; these bacteria are then able to sneak into the skin and cause the infection we are seeing. It is not unlike pimples in people in that way.
All the best, *****