Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My English bulldog has had 3 tplo surgeries they have to keep

Customer Question
going back in cause he...
My English bulldog has had 3 tplo surgeries they have to keep going back in cause he manages to break a screw somehow even though he is confined to his crate and sedated when we aren't able to be home -- after his 3rd something small has gone wrong and we are left with 2 options Arthrodesis or amputation. Do you think there is any reason why they can't remove what is broken and let the rest heal with the assistance of his knee brace?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/29/2015
Dog Specialist: Camille-Mod,
 replied 2 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Yes I am still looking for advice
Dog Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago
Dwight Alleyne
Hello there. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I have some experience with orthopedic surgeries. I hoping I can help you with your problem concerning Radar. Let me know if you are still seeking assistance then I have some additional questions for you. Thank you
I am now at the point where I need reassurance that we did the right thing. Radar has had 3acl surgeries not sure what is going wrong we have kept him sedated and in his crate, 2 possible ways would be the car ride home or the crabby guy across the street knocking on our door when we are not home and getting him worked up. Anyways after 3 acl surgeries he doesn't have much leg to work with, I refused to amputate his leg so the doctor went in and put in the plate so that he will have no use of his knee. I just need to know that we made the right decision and that another doctor would have suggested the same thing.
Dog Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago
I understand, knee surgeries can be challenging in young active dogs. Did you have the surgery performed by a board certified surgeon?
yes we did he used to be an instructor at Iowa State University
Dog Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago
Since he was a board certified surgeon that suggested it I would trust it was the right decision. The reason why they couldn't just remove that screw that is broken is since the surgery involves making a full thickness cut into the tibia or shin bone. Then that bone is shifted to make the angle of the bone more straight. That plate would have to remain in place for a minimal of 12 weeks for the bone to heal in that position and to help correct the knee. When the screw broke that healing was compromised and likely caused damage to the joint. Each time they went surgically it likely caused further damage to the bone making it impossible to fix. It would have been nice if a knee brace would have worked, but unfortunately even with a brace there would have been too much movement involved with the knee especially in an active dog. With the arthrodesis it eliminates what could have been a source of chronic pain. I agree with your choice of arthrodesis over amputation because I still think he can have some use with the leg even though it is limited.
Dog Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago
Hopefully the surgery works out well for Radar. Let me know if you need any additional information
Thank You
Dog Specialist: Dwight Alleyne ,
 replied 2 years ago
You are welcome
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne