Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has a heat stroke three days ago and now has bloody

Customer Question
Hi, my dog has a...
Hi, my dog has a heat stroke three days ago and now has bloody urine. He has medical history of ankylosis spondylitis. He has been on Cephalexin 500mg three times/day, novox 100mg twice/day for pain and transform 50 mg twice/day for one day now. I took him to the vet today for the bloody urine. They did a blood test on him and found the kidneys normal functioning and no bacteria in the urine. They gave him doxycycline 100mg twice/day, prednisone 20mg twice/day, damp tiding 40 mg once/day and misoprostol 100 mg twice/day. Vet said to stop taking NSAID novox and Cephalexin. She thinks bloody urine is due to some hemoglobin or myoglobin break down because he has low RBC and high WBC counts. Do you think she is right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/27/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. It is entirely possible that your vet is correct. It may help to get a creatine kinase value to see if there is excessive muscle breakdown. I would also be concerned, though, about a condition called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). This is a blood clotting disorder that can often accompany illness with severe generalized inflammation, such as heat stroke. It can cause them to not clot their blood very well and bleed excessively from different areas. They ran a complete blood cell count, which is good because it will evaluated platelets needed for clotting, but I would highly recommend running a coagulation profile to see if his clotting times are normal. If elevated, then DIC is a big concern. It can be a deadly disease. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.
What would be the treatment for DIC if he has it and how fast and deadly is it?
Normally, we would put them on intravenous fluid therapy, broad spectrum antibiotics for bacterial translocation and a plasma transfusion. There are other controversial treatments that some vets may or may not use, such as heparin therapy or other blood thinners. DIC can come on in as little as a couple days, and it is very deadly. Generally, the sooner treatment is started, the better the prognosis. Not saying that is what is going on here, but it is a concern after heat stroke, and with the blood in the urine, I would be concerned.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian