Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can i use benadryl spray on my dogs paw if he got a mosquito

Customer Question

can i use benadryl spray on my dogs paw if he got a mosquito bite
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
You could try this spray, but it is not an ideal option for dogs. We do find that topical treatment is less successful overall and dogs are prone to licking them off before they can do any good. As well, there is some zinc in this product, which can cause harm if ingested in large volumes.
Therefore a better option (and likely an easier one if he won't let you touch the paw) is to give him oral Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) just now. Dose-wise, we typically will give dogs 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight (1-4 mg/kg) by mouth up to 2-3 times daily. Please note that we can see a bit of drowsiness with Benadryl administration and often will start with the lower end of the dose range. And it goes without saying that you would want to double check with his vet before using this if he has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medication already.
So, in this case, you can try it but it would be likely safer and more effective to use an oral version of this antihistamine here.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )