Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had diarrhea and has been throwing up her food for

Customer Question

My dog has had diarrhea and has been throwing up her food for two-three days now. The first day she was acting a little lethargic so I was thinking it was just a flu, the second day she seemed to be on the mend, no throwing up still had diarrhea but not nearly as bad and her energy was back, today her personality is 100% back to normal but she's vomitted again and her diarrhea seems to be getting a little worse. Should I be concerned there is an underlying issue? She's drinking fluids and still has an appetite. Should I try not feeding her this evening and see if it helps?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
What does her diarrhea and vomit look like? Any blood or mucus?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Any weight loss?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her diarrhea is just runny kind of brownish yellow some mucus in it sometimes it's extremely runny sometimes it's a small patty. Her vomit is either food or bike. Her gums are a pinkish color. Doesn't appear to be any significant weight loss. I just pressed on her belly from her ribs downward, and she continued to play with her toy. It's possible she ate something but if she didn't it wasn't in my vision so I'm really not sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is keeping down water and very much wants to eat but I have not fed her since breakfast yesterday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to hear that Juju doesn't have any of those more worrying signs I asked about. Now at her age, we do have a few concerns if we are seeing persistent upper and lower GI signs she cannot quite clear. Common causes that we'd have to think about for her include bacterial or viral GI infections, parasites, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, and ingestion of harmful items (toxic or non-edible). As well, since she is older, we do always have to be wary or organ or metabolic disease involvement, but those would be lower on our list of concerns at this stage.
Now since we aren't sure she has eaten anything she should not have, we do want to tread with care. Still, since Juju can keep water down, we can try some supportive care for her at this point. We can rest her stomach, but as a small breed with diarrhea as well, it would be better to see if we can settle her a bit quicker and keep her eating if we can. To start, to tackle her upper GI signs, we can try her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset gut signs.
Once that is on board, then I would advise giving her a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). You want to offer a small amount (1 tbsp) to start and if she keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. The aim of these light diets is that they are east for the body to digest, which will reduce nausea and her diarrhea volume. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Just to note, if you are concerned that she is become dehydrated (since that is what often makes them feel poorly with GI bugs), then you do want to check her hydration. When checking a hydration status, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing signs of dehydration, then that would be a cue to have her seen by her vet to address this before it can make her feel even more poorly.
Furthermore, since her stool is very runny and she has not passed any blood with it, we can can choose to try her with a dog safe anti-diarrheal here. This will slow things down for her gut and help normalize her stools. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if she has happened to pick up a GI bug, but this should help settle any upset from those dietary indiscretion. As well, these can also aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked.
In regards ***** ***** options for her, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are :
* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Pro-Pectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (both are available at some pet stores, OTC at vets, or even on Amazon) would be other options you could use. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, we can see these signs associated with a range of issues. Since it has been lingering and won't settle, we do need to tread with care. Still, we can start the above to give her a body a chance to overcome this. Though if you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours or if she was dehydrated already, I would advise following up with her vet for a check. They will be able to assess her hydration, rule out fever, and check her belly for any lumps, bumps, or things that shouldn’t be her stomach there. Depending on their findings, they can treat her with injectable antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication to settle her stomach and help her get back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )