Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

My two year old dog ate two organic dime size top soil chunks

Customer Question

My two year old dog ate two organic dime size top soil chunks about an hour ago and keeps hacking coughing. What should we do to make it better?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. Sometimes it seems dogs will eat anything.
If this was typical organic topsoil, there is nothing in it but soil. However, do check the bag to be sure of that - there should be no added weed killers or fertilizers. If that's the case, we're looking at some irritation or perhaps a bit of the soil that won't go down. Something moist should help. You can give him some plain yogurt, with no sugar and absolutely no artificial sweeteners. Most dogs love plain yogurt. That will moisten his throat and help any soil stuck in his esophagus to go down. You could also try some meat flavored baby food. Make sure there are no onions in it since they are toxic to dogs. Chicken or beef broth - again with no onions- would be another option.
If there happen to be additives to the soil, you'll need to see your vet.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope one of the above foods will soothe Bentley's throat.
Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The product is called Black Velvet Premium Top Soil it is enriched with black kow cow manure I gave him some beef broth w/out onions and he drank about 2 oz. He is still coughing but less frequent/severely. Would the beef broth be sufficient or should i get buy the meat flavored baby food and/or plain yogurt just in case Thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Well, that's good that there's nothing toxic in it. It may just take awhile and he'll continue to improve, but the yogurt and baby food are a bit thicker and could help push down any soil that hasn't reached his stomach yet.
It doesn't sound like Bentley are very much, but don't be surprised if it causes a little digestive upset, such as loose stool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he ate two jars of baby food and we tried to give him some water and he will not drink. He is still hacking and coughing and he will not go to sleep he tries but wakes up hacking. Do you have any other suggestions.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay - by the time of your most recent post I had logged off and gone to bed (it was 2:00 a.m. here). You had done everything you could at that point. The only two choices were to give him some time or see a vet. If you didn't take him to an emergency clinic last night, and he is still having a problem today, you'll definitely want to see your vet this morning. Something is still irritating his throat or caught there.