Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My treeing coon hound developed a hard mass in abdomen over the weekend. Now he has an ab

Customer Question

My treeing coon hound developed a hard mass in abdomen over the weekend. Now he has an abrasion from rubbing with his front paw. He has a vet appointment on
Thursday. I have a dressing on the abrasion. I am an RN. Some panting. anything else I can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. There's not a lot you can do topically for this. The big question is what the mass it and if it needs to be surgically removed. If so, then I would do that as soon as possible to get the best chance of a surgical cure. As for the ulcerated part, you can put an antibiotic ointment on it. You could use Neosporin or SSD (silver sulfadiazine). I would then use a wrap or t-shirt to keep him from scratching at it and opening it up any more. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mass appeared very quickly. It has hard edges that are not painful. I know that you are not seeing Charlie but what could we be looking at?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
It it came up quickly, I'd be worried about a foreign body and abscess. Especially with the hard edges, abscesses tend to wall themselves off pretty quickly with foreign bodies. An aspirate of it should get you some answers.