petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

We have a small toy chihuahua that has recently started

Customer Question

Hi we have a small toy chihuahua that has recently started having seizure spells or what appears to be seizures. It usually only happens when he gets excited like when he's barking at company coming in or if he is chasing the cat or when he sees us and gets too happy. He will immediately stiffen up and fall over and start trembling and in most cases he loses control of his bowels. It takes him about 30 seconds - 1minute to come out of it and it leaves him extremely weak for a couple days after. Can you please help me understand what this could be? Thank you for any help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. It does in fact sound like Paco could be experiencing seizures. Seizures can be caused by various things including toxins, infections, brain inflammation, trauma, tumors or metabolic disorders due to internal organ dysfunction, just to name a few. In Paco's case, he is in the right age range for his seizure to be due to the condition called epilepsy. This is a electrical disturbance in the brain tissue for unknown reasons. There is no specific test for it and it is diagnosed by ruling out the other above listed causes for seizures. Depending on how frequently the seizures are occurring, medications may be prescribed to control the frequency. Here is a link with more information about seizures. seizures I would recommend that you have Paco at least examined to make sure there is no evidence of any of the above causes present. Your vet may recommend some bloodwork to verify that internal organs are OK. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Melanie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Paco. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.