Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My American bulldog has had watery diarrhea last 24

Customer Question
my American bulldog has had...
my American bulldog has had watery diarrhea for the last 24 hrs. he doesn't seem interested in food but is still drinking some water. I have an old prescription for metronidazole but can't remember the dose. can I give him this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/22/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now Metronidazole can be used for certain types of diarrhea. Specifically, we will use if for cases of colitis. Since you didn't report any blood or mucus in the diarrhea, I would be more suspicious that we have an upper GI issue as opposed to one affecting the colon. Therefore, we'd not rush to start Metronidazole and instead I would advise supportive care at this stage. In regards ***** ***** care for diarrhea in dogs, to start we tend to put them on a light diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful,give him 30 minutes to settle. If he keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As his tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week. Since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a dog, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since he is young, then you do want to have him seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for him . Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools,you can consider trying him today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals once you address the vomiting. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require appropriate antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are: * Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) * PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore,Protexin Pro-Fiber, Propectalin, or Fast Balance (which is available OTC at vet practices) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and these last few the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI. Overall, GI upset of this nature can be triggered by a wide range of agent (bacteria, viruses, dietary indiscretion, parasites, protozoa, etc). Therefore, in your lad's case, it would be best to start supportive care to settle his diarrhea for him. Of course, if it persists or he is appearing dehydrated, then we'd want to consider getting his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, and check a fecal sample to pinpoint what is causing this for him. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him an appropriate antibiotic or anti-parasitic medication to clear the cause and get him back to normal.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian