Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My beagle is extremely obedient and sweet , except when I

Customer Question

My beagle is extremely obedient and sweet , except when I try to walk her. As soon as I start to take her down the stairs, she pulls so hard on the leash trying to go back home that I get frustrated and eventually give up because she starts choking . This
has been going on for a month. At home she is paper- trained but I know that it is not healthy for her to be a couch potato. How can I help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for requesting me. Is there something in the area that frightens here or is there anything there that she may have slipped on and gotten hurt?
Do you do daily obedience with her inside the home?
Have you tried to take her out a different door?
Have you tried putting her in a car and driving her to a different place to walk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for responding.
Nothing has seemed to bother her outside.
We do obedience training inside and she does very well.
She is not stubborn at all at home.
We live in an apartment building so there is only one door.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
I see. So there may be something she is hearing while inside the home that she may be fearing when she gets close to the outside.. Sometimes when we try to coax with treats we actually make the problem worse because we are rewarding the scared behavior. What I would as you try to walk her is do a few heels, about turns, left turns and right turns so you are always giving her the need to concentrate on you rather than whatshe fears. I would reward that behavior with something like chicken or liver,not regular dog treats.