Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is urinating every few minutes, throwing up and peeing

Customer Question

my dog is urinating every few minutes, throwing up and peeing blood. can I give her cipro and or pyridium. We have been up all night. Cant get to a vet til tomorrow
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Does Cricket have any other underlying health issues?Is she on any medications?Is she spayed?If not, when was her last heat cycle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she is spayed since she was a puppy. She is not on any meds. I went ahead and gave her a third tab of pyridium and she issleeping after being restless and up all night. She got up from sleeping and was incontinent on the kitchen floor a large amount of light amber urine with no frank blood or clots
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I havent heard back from you. Is it ok to give her pyridium?
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.I would NOT give her any more of the Pyridium.In dogs and cats, this medication causes destruction of the red blood cells. Just the small dose you gave her this once isn't likely to do damage, but I wouldn't give any more. Some dogs are more sensitive to medications so although Cricket may be okay right now, please don't give any more of the Pyridium.At this point, I would actually NOT give her any other medications tonight. Many drugs can and do interact with others, and if we want her to be on antibiotics for a bladder infection tomorrow, we need to give her body time to clear the Pyridium.For tonight, you can offer her as much water as she'd like to drink. Tomorrow, first thing, give your vet a call and have them run a urinalysis on her so they can get her on the right medication. Make sure you mention the Pyridium to them...just to be on the safe side.I hope she's feeling better soon.