Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My Lhasa Apso is acting very strange and has some mucus type of activi

Customer Question

My Lhasa Apso is acting very strange and has some mucus type of activity around his anus.
He was sitting on the couch with me and keeps jumping up to check his back end. He then jumped up really fast, ran upstairs and hid under a bed. He was aggressive towards us when we tried to get him out. We finally got him out and put him in a crate. He's panting and still keeps checking his backside. We noticed a mucus type of material around his anus.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
It sounds like your dog may be having a problem with his anal glands. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. When the glands become full they can sometimes seep. This is a fluid that can look mucousy but can have an odor from near odorless to a horrible smell. Most dogs will liick the area to keep it cleaned up. It is uncomfortable for the dog. since he had problems with fecal matter around the anus, that would have prevented the glands from emptying normally with the bowel movement since it wouldn't be firm enough to express the glands.
This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.
Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
Now mucous is produced to help lubricate fecal matter as it moves through the bowels. If your dog was experiencing fecal incontinence, then you migh see mucou, but I would expect you to also see feces as well.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.