Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Candy I have a question about my dogs appetite

Customer Question

Hi Candy I have a question about my dogs appetite
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog's appetite had diminished he's 12 year's old mixed chow chow. He usually only wants to eat human food and junk food no dog food at all lately he's super picky and only wants treats. I also suspect he's eating these spiny pods in the backyard because his fur is full of them from crab grass. What's wrong with him?
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry no one helped you sooner. I was offline when you wrote in so someone else should have jumped in. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions. When did he last pass stool and was it normal? Is he having any trouble swallowing? When did he last pass stool and was it normal? Did he start getting picky and not wanting to eat around the same time he started getting the grass pods in his coat? When was he last seen by a vet for blood work and a senior exam? Any vomiting? How much would you say he eats in one day? What have you tried offering other then dog food/treats?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He hasn't had a senior exam yet, but he will this week. He had blood work done about two years ago everything seems to be normal. I haven't seen his stool but will keep a close eye, he does pee and drink lots of water. He's had symptoms about the same time as the pods but as it is he only wants to eat human food always has. We give him chicken or turkey pieces and he loves hamburgers plain or sandwiches he's not eating the chicken that much and only wants treats. He's not vomiting and seems fine? He just won't eat as much just little bits here and there.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. This is a difficult call especially considering his age. His appetite could be decreased due to dental pain, declined organ function, intestinal disorders etc. Increased drinking and urination are most often associated with problems such as diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, urinary disorders. Eating the burs can also be a problem as they can stick in the esophagus, lining of the stomach, roof of the mouth and if enough are eaten they could clump together resulting in a intestinal blockage. I really think it is going to take a hands on exam and new blood work to pin point the problem. Unfortunately blood work from 2 years ago is not real helpful at this age. Things can change in a matter of months in a senior dog which is why most vets recommend a CBC and blood chemistry panel every 6 months.If the blood work is clear then your vet may recommend x rays both to see if the burrs are causing a problem or if any other abnormalities are found in the abdomen. Until you can get him in try something besides the chicken. Try some boiled hamburger and rice or even some boiled lamb or Venison( if you can find it) Some grocery stores sell duck as well. As long as he is acting normal otherwise I would just try offering different foods and maybe pick up a can of what is called DogSure at the pet store. This is a balanced liquid diet that you can offer along with his water to get more calories in him. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but without recent blood work and making sure that the burrs are not causing a problem knowing for sure what is going on is impossible. I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating.