Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We recently rescued a puppy, he is 7 months old and has started

Customer Question
snorting occasionally, and sometimes has...
We recently rescued a puppy, he is 7 months old and has started snorting occasionally, and sometimes has a runny nose. He has woken up from a sleep with a couple big snorts and then goes back to sleep. He otherwise seems ok but should I take him back to the vet. We have only had him a couple weeks and he hates having his nose touched.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/17/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and thank you for requesting me.
At this age and because you recently rescued the pup kennel cough could be a concern. It is much like the human common cold left to run its course. However it can develop into a respiratory infection and if this happens then the dog needs antibiotics.
Kennel cough , usually acts up with motion and is better at rest, so since you are saying he wakes up and does this it may be a reverse sneeze. This is common in dogs and it is thought to be associated with allergies. I will direct you to a video of a reverse sneeze so you can compare . Depending on the dog some seem worse than others, but it will give you an idea of what it looks like.
Another possibility because this is a smaller mixed breed is a collapse in trachea. This will sound like a goose honk. I will also direct you to information on that as well.
Actual coughing, like a dry cough can be indication of a heart problem so that should be checked as well.
I would take a video of the episode with a cell phone because if you have to take the dog to the vet and the Vet can't duplicate the cough by putting pressure on the neck , you will have that video to show him/her.
If the dog has any problem with actual breathing aside from the episodes, then you should have him looked at by your vet. IF the dog runs a fever (over 102.5 ) then it may be a bacterial infection in the lungs. IF the gums become grayish / blue then the pup is not getting enough oxygen and it is an emergency.
reverse sneeze video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk&feature=related
Kennel cough http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/infection/infectious-tracheobronchitis-kennel-cough-in-dogs
tracheal collapse
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/lungs-airways-chest/tracheal-collapse-collapsing-trachea-in-dogs
Hi Suzzi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barney. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant