Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has acid reflux and takes omeprizol 1/2 tab in AM but

Customer Question
still suffers the rest of...
My dog has acid reflux and takes omeprizol 1/2 tab in AM but still suffers the rest of the day. (I also have it so I know what he feels like.) Is there something that would help him during the day? He weighs 10 lbs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/16/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. You can use other antacids in dogs. I like to use Pepcid AC (Famotidine). I find that it works well for acid reflux. Omeprazole is more of a second line antacid to me. I usually start with Pepcid, then add Omeprazole if needed. If still having signs, you can use Sucralfate. This is a tablet that is made into a slurry and given. It helps to coat the esophagus and soothe the discomfort. Lastly, something to help with motility could be an option. Metoclopramide or Cisapride are the common pro-motility meds. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Are you saying to switch to just the Famotidine? I had a Pom years ago that had similar issues for a while and he took both but one of them was stopped after he leveled out. I just don't remember which was ongoing and which was short term. Also, he was a 6 lb Pom and this one is 10 lbs. What would dosage be, and for how long?
I would go with Omeprazole + Famotidine right now. The combination hits different acid producers and can work synergistically with each other. In a 10 lb dog, you can give 5 mg 1-2 times daily.
"In a 10 lb dog, you can give 5 mg 1-2 times daily." meaning just the Famotidine and continuing with no change regarding the Omeprazole Or both 5 mg 1-2 times a day? Sorry. Just need a clarification.
That's correct. Famotidine 5 mg 1-2 times daily. Omeprazole at the current dose you're giving. I usually do Famotidine twice daily and Omeprazole once daily.
Where do you think I'd see an improvement? How long should I keep him on both?
*When* not Where.
You should see less acid reflux signs- less gagging, hard swallowing, vomiting. It should be within the first 2-3 days that you see an improvement. Once normal for 1-2 weeks. I'd back down to once daily on Famotidine and then if still good for 1-2 weeks I'd stop the Omeprazole since that one didn't seem to do the job on it's own.
Then keep on with the Famotidine indefinitely?
Should I always keep him on the Famotidine or stop when symptoms subside?
I'd eventually try to wean him off everything if you can. Just take your time with it.
Started Famotidine this morning. Hopefully by Monday I'll have good news. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this site. It is so appreciated!!
You're welcome. I hope things are looking better.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian