Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 4 year old chihuahua has always been a bit aggressive and

Customer Question

My 4 year old chihuahua has always been a bit aggressive and protective of me. Last week I got her spayed and I have to use gloves to put her leash on. She hides up in my bed and won't let anyone in the room. She has bitten me several times. In the past I have experimented with tranquilizers for a plane ride and have found it increased her aggression. My vet suggested valerian and I got the same results. I was thinking of prozac as I have a prescription, and I have extra. Do you think this could calm her down and what would be the proper dose?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Prozac (fluoxetine) is used for dogs. The dosage for Fluoxetine is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound given every 24 hours, orally. You can read usage and side effects on the following page.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/fluoxetine-prozac-reconcile
This is the information that you requested, but have you done any training with her or had a thyroid panel tested? If you did find my answer helpful then you may rate accordingly and we can still continue the conversation to discuss other possible solutions to your dog's aggression issue.