Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My Basset 54 pounds just ate 3 250MG Cellcept. Our Vet is

Customer Question

My Basset 54 pounds just ate 3 250MG Cellcept. Our Vet is closed. What should we expect?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this is DR J and I will see if I can help you with this...give me a minute to check my data base......how much does Jimmie weigh?
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me how much Jimmie weighs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
54 pounds.
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so the safe dose of this drug for Jimmie would be 20 mg/kg which for him would be 490 mg. Since he has ingested more that that you should take him to an ER where they can induce vomiting and give activated charcoal if necessary.
I am standing by for questions...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Should we watch for anything....nearest animal ER is 20 miles away.
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
This drug is very potent immunosuppressive so it can lower his ability to fight infection or be toxic potentially to his liver. This is why I suggest that you take him in. You can try giving him 1-2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally but many times that does not work and causes more problems in esophagus. The ER
could give him apomorphine injection and he would definitely throw up and then if needed some activated charcoal to get the rest out of his system.
I am still standing by...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you....we will take him.
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Very best of luck to you....Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jimmie. How is everything going?

DrJ