Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My vet told me that my dog had a cancerous tumor on her elbow.

Customer Question

my vet told me that my dog had a cancerous tumor on her elbow. He wants to operate. She is 14 years old and has moderate symptoms of congestive heart failure. I'm just not certain that an operation is in her best interest because of her heart problems and the possiblity the growth will reoccur. What is this type of tumor called and would you suggest that it be removed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would be circumspect about performing such a surgery too unless it were affecting Suzie's quality of life or was bleeding and soiling Suzie, people who came into contact with it, or your home. Can you upload a photo of this tumor to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. There are quite a few tumors that can appear on an elbow. I can needle aspirate such a tumor and examine the aspirate microscopically in an attempt to clarify what kind of tumor it is. If it's not clear to me, I'll send the slide to my pathologist for review. Should you have surgery performed, the tumor should be biopsied so you'll know if it's likely to have spread already, surgery is likely to be curative, or it's likely to return at the same site.