Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 16 year old Lhasa Apso cross has been having

Customer Question

Hello- My 16 year old Lhasa Apso cross has been having patches off extremely dry skin on her lower torso-it sloughs off and is quite flaky. This is the first time in her life that this has happened. I believe it may have something to do with the levels of Omega oils in her diet, so I have been giving her 1/2-1 tbsp of coconut oil mixed in with her food for about 2 weeks now, and I've even rubbed a lot of it into her skin. She is very sensitive to either her food or the summer heat or something outside. Also, she is very reluctant to drink cool water even though it is very hot outside. Would her dry skin have anything to do with her decreased water intake? The coconut oil does not seem to help. She also is very lethargic.  Any suggestions on what I can do before taking her to the vet?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Have you tried going back to an older (know fine) diet for her?

Will she drink the water if its room temperature?

Can you take a photo of her skin changes? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.