How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16714
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were looking answer to our question our dog may have

Customer Question

We were looking for an answer to our question our dog may have ingested a 30 milligram abilify pill. She is 45 pounds.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup may have ingested a 30 milligram abilify (aripiprazole) pill.This is an anti-psychotic drug that we don't use in dogs. Ideally if this occurred within the past 2 hours and she seems her normal self then we would induce vomiting.You can give her 3 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with bread chunks or ice cream.Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present. I will be back with more information but I wanted you to have this to start.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
In the human literature the most common signs of an overdose include low blood pressure, sleepiness, and heart rhythm irregularities.Even at much higher doses then your pup received there have been no known fatalities from this drug in dogs. However, it can cause problems for several days because it takes a long time to metabolize in dogs. It can take as long as 3-5 days to clear most of it from their body. Possible side effects of the drug include tremors, muscle twitches, and transient increases in liver enzymes and white blood cell counts.Serious, though less likely side effects include changes in heart rhythm and low blood pressure.There is no specific antidote for the treatment of overdose with aripiprazole in the dog. We treat supportively and use an ECG to watch for cardiac arrhythmias. So ideally the best course is to get this drug out if possible (it has been less than a couple hours since ingestion) because symptoms of toxicity are possible days later and some are serious, although that is rare.Please let me know if you have any further questions.