Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has had me up all night with diarrhea, my husband thinks

Customer Question
that she may have eaten...
My dog has had me up all night with diarrhea, my husband thinks that she may have eaten some Jones organics knock out rose granular fertilizer. (My mother in law put it on our rose plants while I was out today) how dangerous is this for my dog and is there anything I can do for her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/12/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Do you think Willow had much?
What does her diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?
Any vomiting or appetite loss?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
It was jobes fertilizer, spell correct ugh. It's the middle of the night so I am not sure about her appitite... She seems ok other than the diarriaha. I just am unable to find any info on how dangerous this is. Her stool does seem a bit mucusie. But no blood
I don't think that she ate a lot of it, only what she could have gotten from the base of the rose bushes. My mother in law didn't think to watch her after putting it down
Thank you,
No worries, I did find that was the case when I looked it up to rule out any chocolate (since some fertilizers use cocoa hulls) or chemical toxicities for her. And just to note, this is a pretty standard fertilizer, so its main risk factors are GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, belly cramps, and diarrhea)and increased thirst. In high doses, we can also see nitrogen toxicity (which can cause neurological signs) and blockages if they eat enough that it cannot pass.
Now those high dose issues do not sound likely here, so we can start some supportive care for Willow. To start, when we have dogs with diarrhea, we tend to use light diets for them. This is to offset GI upset but also will increase nutrient uptake and therefore result in less material to pass as diarrhea. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). We tend to feed this as small frequent meals to reduce the stress on the gut. Whichever you choose, I would suggest adding a fiber supplement (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin, all bran, etc) as this will bulk up her stools, reduce diarrhea, and also help push any of the fertilizer out.
As well, as I noted, we can see increased thirst in these dogs. This is because the mineral content of the fertilizer pulls fluid into the gut (which is why she has diarrhea too). When it does this, it can dehydrate the body and cause electrolyte imbalances (which can cause weakness and lethargy). Therefore, we do want to make sure she has access to water to offset this but also monitor her hydration status to ensure she doesn't become dehydrated. To make sure she isn't dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue.
Finally, there are some pet safe anti-diarrheals that can be used to slow the diarrhea as she passes this fertilizer material. In regards ***** ***** options for Willow, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
*Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx ) or
*PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx#.VDp9WBZYxaQ )
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Fast Balance, Propectalin, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option and a good idea for the next few days. All will slow diarrhea but the last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI (which is ideal after they will have had a large nitrogen exposure).
Overall, she thankfully didn't have a more sinister fertilizer and her signs suggest she only had a bit. Therefore, we'd want to monitor her for the next 24 hours and use the above to slow that diarrhea and make sure she stays hydrated. As long as Willow settles, we are happy. But if you see any of those other more serious signs I mentioned or asked about, then we'd want to have her to her vet urgently.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Thank you very much! I will do all of these things! Thank you again
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best to you and Willow,
Dr. B.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian