Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 1 1/2 year old miniature

Customer Question

My 1 1/2 year old miniature Golden Retriever (37 lbs) was having urinary issues (drinking slightly more water than usual, accidents in the house, trickling sometimes afterward) for about a week so I took her to the vet today. She ran some tests (regular, 101 temperature) and from an exam noted Birdie had redness and bumps around her vulva and thought it was vaginitis. She sent off for a urinalysis (culture/mic 1394) and prescribed Clavamox tablet (250 mg) 2 times a day and Rimadyl Tablet (25 mg) once a day. I did the first dose this morning at 11am. Today, at 8pm, the dog is VERY lethargic and has been since getting the drugs. She can't stand on her back legs and drags them the little bit that she has moved. She had water this morning with her meds and has not has not gone to the bathroom yet again today. She's disinterested in water. Should I give her the second dose of Clavamox tonight? What would be causing wobbly hind legs?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very concerned that she has not urinated either. Another side affect of the meds?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How many hours has it been since she last passed urine?
Has she been showing any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, excessive grass eating, or vomiting?
Have you gotten her to drink any water (since poor intake means poor output)?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. B, thank you for your response. I got nervous that there was something bigger at play and we went to the emergency vet clinic last night. We have her on stronger pain meds and that helped her to urinate once last night. She still seems in discomfort but I think we were able to get help from the vet last night. Thank you!