Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Dog ate a piece of blanket over nearly 4 days ago. Had diarrhea

Customer Question

Dog ate a piece of blanket over nearly 4 days ago. Had diarrhea 3 hours ago and 24 hours before that. He is not acting himself and just lays down. He has had his normal feedings and has eaten all of them except for tonight's feeding. About 45 mins ago I gave him canned pumpkin and some water. He looks a little more vibrant, but has reverted back to laying down. His gums look slightly dark or normal. Capillary refill was just fine. When I picked up his lead he got excited and went up on hind legs. He calmed down and continues to lay down anywhere (not consistent for him). He does make a groan when he hits the ground as if he is experience discomfort. Should I take him to emergency or should I observe for a few hours to see if the pumpkin is helping.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.
I am sorry that no one got to your question earlier and I am not sure if you still need help or not, but it does sound like the dog may have an obstruction of the bowel which will cause symptoms of lethargy, diarrhea, lack of appetite and eventual vomiting because there is no place for any new food to move through.
I would suggest that you see your vet, and that for now you do not feed the dog anything more, but do give water.
here is more on obstruction of the bowel
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastrointestinal-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I was not satisfied at all. I paid the money because the page said that a veterinarian was "online now" waiting to respond to my question. Now I get a response nearly 36 hours later. Anyway.... I appreciate you responding Sally. I actually had him eat caned pumpkin and drink water. We took a few walks around the yard and came in to relax. I monitored him overnight. Early In the morning he jumped up and went to the door. I let him out and he ran like normal. He evacuated his bowels. I did see that he passed a piece of blanket. I am continuing to mix pumpkin with his food to assure that everything is moving well.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry no one picked up this question sooner for you. There are not always the same experts online at one time and if it posts to the dog category then it is open to not only Vets but also people who have experience in dog ailments. I can only tell you that if you specifically want a vet, go to the Dog Veterinary Category as the chances are better you will get a response from there. If you are in a particular category though, and no one picks up the question for whatever reason, it is then duel categorized to either dog or cat which ever animal you may have. When it is open to more categories you will have a chance of someone getting to you sooner. I feel so bad that you waited so long. I am very happy to hear that some of the blanket passed and that your pup is beginning to feel better:) I would continue for a while to add the pumpkin. I wish you and your pup a long and healthy life with each other:)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Sally G.