Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Christina, I have a 7 yr old golden who stopped eating about

Customer Question

Hi Christina, I have a 7 yr old golden who stopped eating about a week ago. My vet ran the blood tests and he has lymes and is being treated, but he hasn't started eating again regularly (after 3 days of treatment) He'll eat very, very little, burp and then push his food away. I have tried every kind of food imaginable to get him to eat.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is a golden retriever / nova scotia duck toller mix. He has never had problem with eating in the past, but slowed down about a week ago when the other lymes symptoms hit. He is fully active again, and the lameness in his paw is now gone, but the eating still hasn't returned. He eats very small amounts, and then pushes it away. Sometimes he'll burp immediately after eating. I'm wondering if this is typical for lymes, or if I need to have him checked for some other condition that may have been masked by the lymes diagnosis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last thing.... when we were in the vet's office, we had full blood work done on him, not just the lymes test. His blood platelets came back normal, but his kidney numbers were low (which the vet suspected due to the lymes). Everything else came back within normal ranges except his kidney function.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm concerned as you are that Lyme is not the primary problem. The in-house test we perform tells us if our patient has been exposed to the infectious agent (Borrelia burgdorferi) but not if that bacteria is active. Response to therapy - doxycycline or amoxicillin - is expected to be prompt - within a few days - and if not seen the diagnosis needs to be reconsidered. Of course, Lyme may be seen concomitant with other disorders. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Dr. Michael. They actually didn't give me a copy of the test results, and they're now closed for the weekend.He's been nibbling, a little. Not enough for his size though. I bought him Nature's Valley Insitinct Raw, and he'll eat 3-4 of the medallions which is about 1/4 to 1/2 of what is recommended for his weight. The other lymes symptoms are gone now. He had a limp in his right front leg that disappeared within 24 hours, and his eyes were very bloodshot, and that is now gone as well. He's running and barking and being a little butt-head again :) so I know he's feeling better.... it's just his appetite that hasn't returned.I will see what I can get my hands on this upcoming Monday and scan in whatever they can send me.
That sounds promising! Keep in mind that both doxycycline and amoxicillin can cause GI distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Please keep me posted.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barney. How is everything going?