Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I just noticed blood on my arm where I was holding my American

Customer Question

I just noticed blood on my arm where I was holding my American Cocker Spaniel to give her a hug before putting her into her crate for the night. She is eight and a half months old, very happy and healthy puppy. Haven't had a chance to look her over year but am pretty sure she is in heat. How should I care for her and what can I expect, I don't want to breed her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. It does sound like she's in the pre-estrus stage of her heat cycle. This is where there is a bloody discharge and vulvar swelling. It may last anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. Following the pre-estrus stage, is estrus. This is where she is ovulating and she will stand to be bred. You really need to be sure to keep her away from any intact male dogs, or she will likely get bred. For the discharge, you can go to a pet store and get doggy diapers. These can help keep her clean while going through this stage. You may also notice some mild discomfort during an estrus cycle. Most will go through it without any significant problems. Once she's out of heat, you can have her spayed to prevent further heat cycles and to significantly decrease her chance of mammary cancer in the future. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Carol Crofton. How is everything going?